help

Toddler Parenting

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 3 Followers

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Sun, Apr 12 2015 8:15 PM

Yes, he spends a great deal of time with her. I'm really lucky that he has embraced fatherhood, because he had almost no experience with babies/young children before we had her. It could have gone the other way, but it turns out he loves having a daughter. Of course, he just told me he is worn out and ready to go back to work tomorrow, but I kind of expected that!

I haven't tried the playdough yet, no. I did find some fairly easy recipes and all the ingredients are things I have on hand. I guess we do have healthy snacks, but that's because she eats so few vegetables at meals! I think C ate maybe four peas at dinner tonight, and I call that a victory. I agree that they are fickle, though--it's so frustrating when they stop liking something that they liked the week before. I just requested the book "Child of Mine" from the library, because I've seen it recommended on other forums here--it's about feeding your little one without pressure, something I need to learn. I'm always worried about her nutrition but I know I can't force her to eat.

I saw the pictures of the T-shirt decorating. So cute! Your boys are really adorable. They look more alike than I expected, but different enough that even non-family members could tell them apart. I'm glad your boys got to see their grandpa for Easter. I like small, quiet holidays the best. My parents are both from huge families, so growing up we always had giant holiday dinners. Now they seem so small but I think it's better for the kids. I always felt lost in the shuffle with all those grandkids running around.

Ha ha, I like the description of other kids being androids. Just remember, our kids are NORMAL. I just dread the thought that it could get worse when she turns 2. Of course, every child is different, and some of them don't go through that stage at all.

I'm sorry you've entered the hitting and kicking phase. But I think it's great that they can "practice" on each other at home, and learn how to behave there. As long as one doesn't dominate the other, it sounds like normal, healthy development to me. Lately I've been sad thinking about my daughter not having any siblings, but we haven't changed our minds about having more kids. It just makes us appreciate the one we have even more.

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:57 AM

Yep, eating is hit and miss with toddlers for sure...they both ate peanut butter the other day, even
A, who I swore wouldn't eat it again...but I had it on different bread so I guess that's why lol  My C
didn't eat veggies for a while and now he likes them, so maybe your daughter will be like that too.

As you already know, I facebook stalked you after you liked their t-shirt picture.  Your daughter is
absolutely adorable!  Her hair is so cute and she looks like such a big girl already!  I saw the picture
of her and your husband at the park...looks like such a pretty place!  I hope you have a week of beautiful weather in store!  Yesterday my husband gave our boys their second haircuts which couldn't have come at a better time because we had a very nice warm day yesterday and today is like a summer day!!!  It will be close to 80 today!!  I never thought we'd see such gorgeous weather but we sure are lucky!  We'll be outside all day today and my husband is going to make some pizza on the grill! 

I thought about taking the boys to storytime today but we decided to go for a nice walk outside instead.
They get plenty of storytime here anyhow.  After their nap we are going to go for a jog together and then play outside!  You should see how excited they get when they know we are going outside and A will even sit down and ask for his shoes and socks lol

How is your daughter with talking?  My boys have a pretty good vocabulary now but haven't really said sentences yet.  C has just started putting things together like "go play" and "no momma" and both ask for things like "cracker please" or "up please".  I've always heard that girls are more verbal than boys and was just wondering if your daughter is quite a talker.  A friend of mine who has a girl the same chronological age as the boys has told me that her daughter has already started singing simple songs.  Just wondering if the boys are normal with how much they are talking.

We always wanted 2 kids but for a while we didn't even think 1 would happen.  But then we got a miracle and 2 at once!  Probably a good thing because I don't think a second miracle would have been in the cards with how long it took us.  Sometimes I do feel like my attention is divided though, which isn't always fair.  It's probably nice being able to give all of your attention to 1 child.  I know the boys are always competing for attention, but I guess competition isn't always a bad thing and can only help them.  I know that if one does something that gets praise, the other tries to mimic that behavior too to get that same positive result.

The boys have definitely already reached the "terrible twos" but I also see progress and following directions where there was once defiance.  Granted somedays are frustrating repeating the same thing like "no climbing" with the same consequence of a time out again and again, but when you get to that point where they start listening, it makes it all worth it.  Now if I step into the other room for a second and I catch one climbing, all I have to do is say 'no' once or just simply look at them and they know...  So I guess that defiant phase is just a part of growing up and learning how to behave, which will make things so much easier down the road! 

KissMe 33, Tongue TiedDH 34

began TTC in 8/2011

Baby BoyBaby Boy born 5/25/13 at 28w5d via c-section after PPROM    

Thanking God everyday for our miracles Pray 

Our family is complete!  TTA with FAM

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Wed, Apr 15 2015 8:33 PM

I guess that's why I should just keep offering. You never know when they are going to change their minds and like something. Or maybe it's not that they don't like it, but they're not in the mood. I definitely feel that way about certain foods.

Thank you for your sweet words about my daughter. She looks so grown-up with her hair like that, which is why I don't do it very often. We had a great time that day, and she loved being able to run around. We have had a lot of rain the last two weeks, so we wanted to get her out while we could. Unfortunately it continues into next week. :(  Your boys' haircuts look great! Did they cooperate for them? I'm so glad you finally have some warm weather. I assume you have pretty hot summers too, right?

I guess my daughter's vocabulary is pretty good, but I would say most people couldn't understand her if they didn't know her. She can't pronounce the 's' sound or the 'd' sound, so that really affects what comes out of her mouth. She can put two or three words together. Probably the funniest thing she says is "knees and toes" when she wants to get on her dad's shoulders (from the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes"). Have yours been able to say their own names, or their brother's name? I think we'll be waiting on that awhile, since we gave her a 3 syllable name!

You were very lucky to get 2 kids at once! We felt that due to our ages we should stop at one. Most of the time I am happy with our family of three, but sometimes I do get wistful. Yes, I like being able to give her undivided attention, although we try to encourage her to play on her own, and she is very independent, so I think we're headed in the right direction. I never thought about twins providing positive reinforcement--that is great!

They like testing limits, don't they? When my daughter is about to do something she's not supposed to do, and I'm not looking, she says "Nooo" in a really loud voice, then makes sure she got my attention before she does it. So at least she knows the rules, but she's not always following them. How do you keep your boys in timeout? We need to start that but I don't know how to keep her in one place.

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:39 AM

The boys did very well with their haircuts...my husband enjoyed giving them and I think the boys
enjoyed losing that mass of hair!  We have another nice day coming up today so we're planning on
hitting the park after lunch.  Hope you are getting some breaks from all the rain.  I bet it's pretty green
where you are right now though!  Our summers are probably 70s to 80s.  We rarely get 90 degree days but sometimes we get one here or there.  I'm sure you get a lot of heat where you are at...do you have a pool or waterpark that you frequent during those really hot days?  We got AC which is good because our living space gets so hot on any kind of nice day (we live in a raised ranch) and the lack of trees in our yard doesn't help much either.

Sounds like your daughter's speech is advanced in comparison with my boys.  They don't put 2 words together all that often and definitely not 3 yet.  I also don't think many other people who aren't around my boys all the time would really be able to understand them.  My mom came over yesterday and kept thinking they were saying things that were completely different than what they were really trying to communicate.  That's really good that your daughter is using words like 'and'!  Does she use any pronouns yet?  My boys don't and they don't use their own names yet either.  They refer to each other as "brother", not by actual name even though I try to get them to use names.  I guess it will all happen in time... 

Good to hear that your daughter is independent and able to entertain herself.  I think sometimes the boys are more high maintenance in that regard.  I try to encourage them to play on their own or with each other and sometimes it works but it seems they get bored so easily...maybe I've been doing too many structured activities and they've just come to expect me to entertain them.  It's hard when DH sleeps during the day and I need to keep them quiet though.  Luckily we can go outside more now!

They do love to test!  And when they have it down with one person then they test someone else trying to find the path of least resistance.  It's especially annoying when someone else doesn't enforce something and then you have to enforce it all. over. again.  I'm probably cruel, but I do put them in their bedroom and shut the door for time out.  Sounds horrible, I know, but it works and eventually (key word here) they get the message.  It's my go-to for hitting/pushing/kicking/hairpulling especially..an immediate consequence to hopefully nip that behavior right away. 

The boys both showed off and went potty for grandma yesterday.  They are both progressing really well with it now and I'm really proud of them since they aren't even 2 yet.  Looks like a short nap day today...yay...  Hope you have a great day! 

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Sat, Apr 18 2015 12:19 PM

Well, they are cute as they can be! Your husband did a good job. I'm glad you are finally having some nice temperatures. Your summers sound great to me--I hate hot weather with a passion, and we are typically in the 90s for most of July and August, plus the humidity. But I guess it's a tradeoff since your winters are more severe and last longer. We have pools that we could join for the summer, but I don't want to spend the money until she is older.

That's funny that your mom thought the boys were saying something different--my MIL does the exact same thing. I don't have the heart to tell her that she misinterpreted, so she probably thinks my daughter is really advanced. No, she doesn't use pronouns, but says a few names, and still calls herself "baby." Of course, if she sees a four-year-old she says "baby," so I don't think she knows what it really means! It's sweet that your boys call each other "brother."

I was worried for awhile that my daughter couldn't entertain herself, but we have added a few inexpensive toys to her collection and it's really made a difference. It's mostly plastic utensils, plates, cups, etc. and even though she doesn't really do pretend play yet, somehow she entertains herself with them. I wish I had thought of it sooner. Now to just keep the clutter contained...

I keep forgetting you have the extra challenge of having to keep things quiet. Does your husband usually sleep through the day, or wake up frequently and go back to sleep? I'm sure it's not easy to explain that to a two-year-old.

I don't think you're cruel at all for the timeouts. We probably need to start doing that too. At that age, 30 seconds probably feels like an eternity. Do you do the one minute for every year thing? We didn't have timeouts when I was a kid, so I had to ask somebody how it worked.

That's awesome that they have both used the potty. It sounds like they see it as an accomplishment, rather than a chore or something to be scared of. I'm still not ready to think about it yet, or about moving her into a big girl bed. Did you ever get the beds?

I think I mentioned my daughter is going to a Parents' Day Out once a week, and while I was looking into different places that have child care, I found out that I will have to apply for 3-year-old preschool this fall. That seems so early to me, when she won't go until the fall of 2016. What is this, Harvard? Some of the schools' web sites sound like they are so competitive. And another mom just told me her daughter didn't get into the preschool she wanted her to go to. I just want her to be safe and have fun and learn a few things. Just something else to worry about!

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Mon, Apr 20 2015 10:25 PM

Thanks!  I'm glad he is so good at cutting hair because I don't think I could pull it off!  lol  Sounds like you need a nice northern vacation in the summer!  We get lots of visitors from places like Florida in the summer months just as lots of people from up here jet down to see the gorgeous South during our brutal winters.  I've only been as far as Virginia but I'd love to venture further someday.  My mom is from South Carolina and has always talked about the beautiful white sand beaches there and maybe going back someday.  My husband has been to your area and said it is gorgeous.  Some cold winter when the boys are older and we have more money maybe a trip will be in order!  How is your forecast looking for the week?  Has the rain stopped?  We will be back in the 40s again all week but at least we've seen a glimpse of what's to come!  :)

How's the job going?  Any exhibits you really like or think to be interesting?  I've always been fascinated with history and the history of sports would probably be pretty interesting...athleticism back before it came with an expensive contract!  :)  What it must have been like to be an athlete back then!

Has your daughter started the PDO?  How's it going?  Wow---sounds like quite a process to get into preschool for 3-year-olds!  I can't believe it is so competitive!  Is it expensive?  I haven't even looked into it because around here I know it will cost.  This community charges for EVERYTHING...kids' recreational activites for the summer...$100....music classes....$100....arts & crafts...$100....and multiply that times two...youza!  I can't imagine what one year of preschool would cost us.  I guess that's why my kids will be stuck at home with momma or only participate in free activities until they get to kindergarten.  They will be stuck with "mommy's preschool" and heaven forbid I miss something.  My kids won't be in the cloned costly community click which I'm sure will put them at some disadvantage.  But hopefully I can teach them the basics like my mom did for me before I went to kindergarten...I never went to preschool either but I did teach at one for a few years so hoping not much has changed.  Who knows...maybe they have the new "common core" edition.  Do you have that crap at your schools?  The husband and I have seriously considered homeschooling due to the common core curriculum...our state governor brought that bs to our doors with his election and unfortunately he was recently re-elected...ugh...

The boys are very excited about the potty.  They love getting to use the big potty and wipe with the toilet paper and of course flush it all away.  My son A used to not want to leave and throw a fit when it was time to be done but we have the routine down now of what's expected and C now gets it too after watching his brother.  Potty training isn't so bad...just sometimes can be work for sure but so worth it when there are one or two less diapers to change.  When it starts to click you feel such pride and that pride is just mirrored in their faces!  I generally think pull-ups are easier than diapers because they can just step into them...  Generally...except for the other day when C had just finished with the potty and in the 2 seconds while I was getting his brother situated on the commode, C managed to poop in and pull down his pull-up while in the playroom getting poo all over the floor...ugh...  But luckily cleanup wasn't so bad and Febreeze carpet cleaner works wonders!!!!  I guess the bright side is that he knows how to pull his pants down!  lol!

The beds were badly damaged when they arrived to the store.  So those were a no-go.  Now we need to find something else which stinks because we really liked the idea of the car beds.  But they were on sale and now they are not.  Maybe we should just put a tent over the converted crib so they can't jump out and smack their noggins and call it a day!

My husband generally sleeps through the day.  He gets to bed at around 10:30 and usually sleeps until around 5 and then will try to catch a quick nap sometimes a little after 8 just to get a few extra winks.  Usually the boys go down at around 11 so he is able to fall asleep pretty good and then after they get up and have lunch I try to get them out so they don't wake him because like you said--soon to be 2 year olds don't understand the concept of being quiet.  I guess I should be more organized with the time-outs.  They are new to me too and I never knew about the age-related rules or really anything as I was brought up the "old-fashioned way" if you know what I mean lol  I'm probably doing it wrong but I usually let them hang out for just enough time for them to either calm down or for what I think will allow them to understand that they have recieved a consequence to their actions.  For minor offenses like climbing and jumping on the couch it is usually a quicker time out than for something like hitting.  But it seems like always a constant battle at this point.  I guess until they reach a certain cognitive milestone that will continue to be the case.  "Test" is the four letter word of the day around this house everyday it seems.

My husband and I did catch them playing nicely together with legos tonight though!  They were handing pieces to each other and building a tall tower together with the uniblocks.  It was too cute!  :)  We also have all of that cup, bowl, fork and etc. clutter around here too.  They even found the plastic clasps on the wipes bags entertaining the one day, opening and closing them for at least an hour.  But it seems like they are always looking for something new.  They get bored easily with things and just want to get into things they can't have like the remotes or phones because they are "new" and "forbidden" lol 

Well guess I typed you another novel!  lol 

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Wed, Apr 22 2015 3:23 PM

Yes, this area really is beautiful, but as I said, I could do without the hot and humid summers. But I've been farther south and our humidity is nothing compared to theirs, so I shouldn't complain. At least I have air conditioning. We finally have a clear day today, but the temps are down to the low 60s (I know, I know--that's much better than 40s!). That's about 10-12 degrees below our norm for late April, but at least we can go outside. I hope you have still been able to get out this week!

I'm starting to get more comfortable with the job. I have to spend a lot of time talking to people, and since I've been at home with a mostly non-verbal child for so long, it took a little while to get used to it. I'm told we are about to get very busy, and I'm looking forward to that. I hate having downtime at work. We do have an exhibit where you can hold bats used by some of the great players (and get your picture taken, of course). I'm working in the baseball card exhibit which has brought back lots of memories. I agree that being an athlete in the past was probably a lot different. Definitely not the glamorous existence it is today! I know you said you used to run, did you play any other sports? I'm not athletic at all but I do like being a spectator.

My daughter has gone to her new "school" twice, and she cried both times. My parents have to take her, as it starts an hour after I have to report to work. But she did fine once she got used to it, and I think in a week or two she will learn to look forward to it. I know it's natural for kids to cry when they are left in a new place, but I'm glad I haven't been there to see it. Apparently my dad cried on the first day when they dropped her off! He definitely has a soft spot for little kids.

I don't remember the tuition for the pre-schools I looked at, but I hope to be working more hours by the time she gets started so that we don't have to struggle to pay for it. Around here, all kids are expected to go to pre-K, so it's not an option to keep her home until kindergarten (ironic since my state is one of the bottom 5 in education every year). I keep forgetting you have to double everything, so yeah, it would be crazy expensive for you! We do have the common core here, and I don't really understand it, but I know a lot of people aren't happy about it. Is it the same where you live? How has it managed to catch on everywhere? I really admire homeschoolers, although I don't think I could do it as I'm not a very good teacher.

Too bad about the race car beds, but I bet they will go on sale again. Of course, in the meantime your boys might figure out how to get out of the cribs without falling.

It's funny, I don't remember what the common discipline was when I was young--I know my parents spanked us on occasion, but beyond that I'm really not sure. They did have to lock my brother in his room sometimes because he was very aggressive and would destroy things, and his doctor told them to confine him to his room when that happened. He turned out totally normal, by the way, but that was a rough few years!

I saw the pictures of your boys playing together, and it's so sweet! They're going to be so glad to have each other as they grow up.

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Thu, Apr 23 2015 7:04 PM

I'm glad you finally got some clear weather!  We had a little bit of snow today, but we were still able to get out and about.  We went to our local animal shelter to see the bunnies and I think the boys really loved it!  We were going to see the other animals but A started running and tripped and busted his lip open.  Took them to the ladies' room to clean him up and then we headed out.  Luckily it wasn't anything serious but enough for him to have a good cry and to postpone the remainder of our first sans stroller animal exploration for another day!

Sounds like the job is going really well!  The bat exhibit sounds like something the boys would like someday.  Also the baseball card exhibit sounds really interesting!  Sounds like you were a collector as a kid?  My brother and I used to collect them when we were little.  I remember they used to have sticks of gum in some of the packages.  All I ever did was run.  I was never coordinated enough for anything else!  What are your favorite sports/teams you enjoy watching?

It must have been heartbreaking to hear about your daughter's crying and your Dad's crying when dropping her off!  I think like you said she will look forward to it soon though.  I'm sure she enjoys playing with other kids and they probably have lots of new toys and activities there for her.

Wow---your state has compulsory pre-k???  That is outrageous!  If that is the case it should be FREE!!  I'd be furious!!  And then I'd probably move!  lol  I know our President was pushing for mandatory gov't sponsored pre-k when he was elected...like parents shouldn't be trusted to raise their own children...  I didn't think that was actually becoming a reality though!  I'd hate to say it, but it sounds like a whole lot of Socialist bunk to me!  Maybe I'm just not with the times, but in response to "mandatory pre-k" I think like this:    http://www.universalpreschool.com/faq/  I think it should be up to the child's parents and a personal choice whether or not a child is sent to preschool and preschools shouldn't be high-pressure high-stakes environments.  Common core is the WORST.  This math teacher sums it up here:  http://dianeravitch.net/2013/01/13/a-math-teacher-on-common-core-standards/  I used to work as a tutor and I knew nothing about it at that time except that kids struggled with BASIC math applications because they were no longer taught!  Instead, they teach all of this abstract method so that these kids go through school without the basic skills and can't even work
as a cashier out of high school.  People here, schools here, are boycotting the testing but that incurs "penalties" on the schools where they are fined and in some cases even shut down.  It's all a crock.  The state was basically "bought out" by the promise of federal educational funding in exchange for implementing the common core curriculum.  So we sold our souls in essence and who will pay for this...our kids....   Ok...I will get off my soapbox now lol

I'm glad your brother grew out of that phase!  Probably a lot to have to live with growing up.  I think consistency will be the key with the boys.  Some days it seems like we need a lot of 'nos' though!  lol

Seen any good movies lately?  We usually rent from Redbox and tonight we will be watching the final Hobbit movie.  Can't believe they made that book into 3 movies, but still excited to watch it! 

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Mon, Apr 27 2015 3:39 PM

It looks like you have been having a lot of adventures lately! I'm glad you have had some decent weather and hope it continues. I had completely forgotten about the play doh until I saw the pictures of your kids playing with it. I never did find the cinnamon recipe, although I suppose I could just sprinkle some in, since she's not supposed to be eating it anyway. Come to think of it, I have some whole wheat flour that just expired, I could probably use that just as easily as white.

I used to be a big Cubs fan, even though we are nowhere near Chicago, but they were on TV every day so they were easy to follow. I don't watch much baseball anymore, partly because I don't have cable and it's never on one of our local channels, but I do like it. We have a minor league team here and I would love to take my daughter out there this summer. I also watch college basketball and am still missing it, since the season just ended a few weeks ago. I did collect cards for a very short time, but my brother was really into them. My parents still have all of his cards in their house, and they've threatened to get rid of them, but they never would. He probably has a few that have value, but nothing super-rare or expensive.

Okay, I looked it up, and pre-K is not required here, just recommended. I guess everybody I know either sends their child to pre-K, or they're in day care and that is part of their curriculum. The state does offer free preschool for kids who qualify (either due to low income or disability of some sort). There have been a lot of problems with "kindergarten readiness," where kids get to school and don't even know the alphabet or numbers, so they are really pushing it. I really don't know much about public education since I went to Catholic schools my whole life. Since my husband has been teaching for 18 years, I will have to rely on his knowledge of the school district and try to get her in the best schools. We sure can't afford private schools, so I hope it all works out.

We watched "The Imitation Game" the other night, and it was great. I mean basically you know how it's going to turn out since it's set during World War II, but it was still suspenseful and very well-acted. I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies, are they good? Have you read all the books? I did see all of the LOTR movies and loved them, but haven't read a single word of the series. And I majored in English!

Have you started planning the 2nd birthday party yet? Can you believe our kids are almost 2? I feel like I just peed on the stick, and here we are!

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:55 PM

We've been really lucky this week to have some nice weather!  How is it out your way?  I saw the "selfie" pic your daughter took of you...that's so cool!!  Amazing that she is so good with a camera already!!  :)  The boys didn't eat the dough this time, but it was a not-so-tasty recipe I made with lots of salt.  C tried to sample it at first, but made the "yuck" face right away!  lol   Using the expired flour is a good idea as it won't really be wasted.  I felt a little guilty as it was using the good flour, even though it was only a cup, because my husband makes a lot of pizza with it.

Baseball is so much fun to watch---especially at the stadium!  I bet your daughter would love it!  Some of my best memories growing up were of going to watch our local minor league team.  My grandparents would often come too and they had fun stuff that my brother and I would look forward to, like a target toss and catching frisbees and they would always have give-aways.  Particularly exciting would be if a ball would happen to roll over to our side of the fence where we could wiggle it out through a gap at the bottom.  So much fun!  My brother collected cards for much longer than I did too and he also had a bobble-head collection.  My mom said she will be wrapping them up for the boys along with his model cars for Christmases when they get older.

Sorry I was so obnoxious about my perception of a compulsory pre-k law.  I would definitely send the boys if we could afford it as I think it could be a great thing for them socially and academically.  I plan on sending them to the public school here and I bet they'd meet a lot of their fellow future classmates if they did go.  I do think parents should have a choice in the matter though and if they ever did make it mandatory they would have to make it free so people around here don't have to sell their cars or take out a second mortgage.  My area is very pricey because it is a small community and there isn't a very large pool of tax payers to draw from so they just tax us higher.  But it is a nice area to raise kids---very kid friendly with lots of programs and activities available, most cost but some are free like the Halloween festivities and hayrides they have at the local park for the kids every fall.

I may suggest that movie to my husband---sounds very interesting!  I did not read all of the Tolkien books for sure!  I only read The Hobbit and The Silmarillion, the former of which was edited and published posthumously by his son.  I guess it kind of helped me understand the concept behind the LOTR films but I wish I would have read the books as well!  The Hobbit movies were pretty good and if you enjoyed the LOTR trilogy then I'd definitely recommend them!

I cannot believe our babies are almost 2!  I don't know about you, but I'm wondering what happened!  I can remember the night the boys arrived like it was just yesterday.  It's so crazy.  My little 2 lb 10 oz peanuts...and then I was at the store yesterday and someone couldn't believe they were under 3 for how big they are!  I just have to laugh a little inside when people think they are such big boys for being almost 2...  And your daughter looks like such a big girl!  She is beautiful and I just know you are looking forward to July!  I forgot if you told me if you were planning a party for her?  We will have a little family get-together for the boys.  I'm glad my parents will be able to make it this year as the boys will really enjoy their big day this year!!!   

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Mon, May 4 2015 1:27 PM

Sorry I've been MIA--just a lot going on here! I've been really enjoying your pictures of the boys on FB. You're obviously getting outside, which is great. We've had a lot of warm, dry weather here too. In fact I think I saw a forecast for upper 80s one day this week! Not quite ready for that, but I'm glad to leave winter behind. My daughter is loving running around in the back yard and taking walks every day.

Yes, she "took" a picture of me, but my husband was holding the camera and she just pushed the button down a few times. That was the best one. He is really into photography, so I won't be surprised if she likes it too. Right after we found out I was pregnant, he bought this camera that I thought was way too expensive, but it was worth every penny. He has taken so many great pictures of her with it, almost professional quality. Of course, he has deleted a lot more, but that's the beauty of a digital camera.

I'm glad to hear you like baseball! I have been getting back into it this year since it makes sense for my job. I kind of lost interest a few years ago after all the steroid stuff, but I have to believe they have cracked down enough that it's not too rampant anymore. It's so disappointing to find out your favorite athletes aren't so upstanding. Anyway, that sounds great that your mom will be giving your brother's collection to your boys. What a special gift.

You weren't obnoxious at all! I think it's good to have strong opinions about education. I feel like our daughter will be fine no matter what, because we read to her and make sure she is working on numbers, colors, shapes, etc. Unfortunately a lot of kids don't get that, which is why they are trying to stress early childhood education around here.

Thanks for the book recommendations. I've been reading a nonfiction book from the library for several weeks and it's slow going. It's interesting, but I only read a few pages a night. I like a good novel that will keep me reading for hours because I can't put it down. What other types of things do you like to read?

Yes, the time went so fast. I've been thinking a lot about C's birth because she was born the same day as Prince George, and then to see another royal baby born brought back lots of memories. (Did you see the pictures of Kate leaving the hospital like 12 hours after the birth? Holy cow, I don't think I'd even been out of bed 12 hours later!) I know you said your pregnancy and birth were stressful and traumatic, but I hope now that your boys are so big and healthy you can look back with some happiness at the way it all turned out. I think we will probably have a small party with my family whenever my brother and his family are in town, so it might be way before or way after her birthday. At this age, they don't have a clue!

How is the planning for your Run Down Cancer event going?

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Tue, May 5 2015 11:34 AM

I'm sure there is little extra time these days with your new job!  We have been getting exceptional weather around here!  We've been in the 70s and 80s!  Today is the "coolest day" of the week with an anticipated high of 67...so really, no bad days around here anymore!  Like you, I'm so happy to finally be able to kiss winter goodbye!  I'm sure your daughter is loving the outside time---the boys sure are enjoying it!

"A" took his first "selfie" the other day...we were leaving the track and I let him hold the camera which turned into a bunch of random shots and one "selfie" lol  I'm sure your husband will really love teaching your daughter some photography stuff!  It's so nice when you can spend time passing down something you enjoy to your own kids.  My husband practically has his own vintage video game museum in the basement so I know what he will be doing with the boys when they get older!  :) 

We're also working on colors, shapes, numbers & letters around here.  C is really into all of that stuff but A couldn't care less and would rather be figuring out how the vacuum cleaner works lol  We may hop over to the library after nap time as we are due to get some new books.  With the nice weather I haven't been going as often and I actually just realized that our old books are due back tomorrow! 

May is birthday month around here.  My dad's was on the 2nd, my husband's was yesterday, and the boys are on Memorial Day this year.  We are going to take them for an early present to go see and ride Thomas the train at the "Thomas's Day Out" event at a local train museum near us on Sunday.  Hoping they will enjoy it!  I'm going to practice making their Thomas cake on a carrot cake I am going to make for my husband as I'm no artist and I have no idea how my design will turn out...are you going to make a special cake this year?

Wow yeah Kate looked like she had just stepped out of a magazine only hours after giving birth!  And then they got to bring her right home!  So jealous as I was just trying to get my toes to wiggle so I could go see the boys after my c-section!  Their new little girl is so precious and I just love the name they chose for her!  So cool that your daughter was born on the same day as Prince George!!  That will be cool to tell her when she gets a little older! 

Planning for the race is pretty well set...now it's just stressing over getting people to register!  I have no idea how many we will get as it is only a first year event so I guess we'll see but can't believe it's only a little over a month away...even with all the preparation I feel so unprepared!  Hope you have a great day!  Looks like another short nap day for Mr. C...  The crockpot is making dinner tonight!  Yippee!!   Hey, if you ever want to shoot some crockpot ideas over my way I'd love to hear them!!  Need all the help I can get!!  And now we're both up and giggling at each other....lol  Have a great dayyy!!!

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Mon, May 18 2015 7:45 PM

Hi Stranger! Hope all is well. I have enjoyed seeing your boys on FB, especially the pictures from Thomas. I gather that wasn't such a great experience? We have a Thomas event coming up here in a few weeks, but my daughter hasn't shown any interest. Since it sounds like it's not much fun for anybody, I'm glad we weren't planning on going. Oh well, it was nice of you to take them to something fun!

How are your two doing on colors, etc? We haven't had much luck with that yet, but she's starting to do really well counting to ten (with our help). Now I'm actively looking for books that teach letters and numbers to make it easier. She does know a few letters too, but I'd say less than half the alphabet. Her wallpaper is the ABCs so I'm trying to take advantage of that to teach her.

I guess the big 2nd birthday is coming up soon! I'm sure the cake will turn out great. I think as parents we tend to stress out way more than we need to about that stuff. I remember being nervous before my daughter's b-day party last year, even though it was all family, and of course everything turned out fine. I'm not sure yet what I'll do about a cake. My sister's kids are allergic to eggs so I usually do a second dessert for them. It's easier just to make two sheet cakes and use colored icing rather than do two fancy cakes, since I'm not a great baker anyway.

My SIL just sent a bunch of clothes for C, ranging from 18-24 months to 4T, and I had a great time going through them today. Some of them I remember my nieces wearing, others I don't, but they're all adorable. It's so nice to have all these girl cousins so I don't have to go out and buy clothes. Now the problem is where to put them when our basement is already full...oh well, it's a good problem to have!

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Not Ranked
Posts 621
Keeponhoping replied on Mon, May 18 2015 11:09 PM

Stranger!!  How are you?  Maybe we should just move this "group" to FB!  lol  I have really adored the pics you've shared of your little girl as well, in particular her "helping" with the gardening...too cute!! 

The Thomas experience itself may not be bad if elsewhere but I just think the po-dunk location we went to was bad.  Some of the negatives included the fact that there was nowhere for young children and infants to cool down...no fans, no shade, no AC, no cold running water...  Also, they had AC on the train but it was *restricted* to the "conductor's" car up front...you'd think for the price they'd open up the vents in the other cars so tiny kids and babies wouldn't look and feel like death warmed over...it was at least 90 degrees on that train...the boys were sweating and miserable on the ride.  The railway was also classy enough to have an adjacent train at the departure/return point spray painted in it's entirety with a large 'F** You' grafitti sign with its windows all smashed in...a nice touch for children and families...I'm glad my kids are still too little to read...  The icing on the cake was that "A" picked up an intestinal bug from the experience...most likely from playing with the publicly used train sets...and had diarrhea for the next 5 days.  Then we all got the bug.  We won't be going back. 

Wow!  That's great that your daughter can already count to 10!  My boys can both say their numbers to 10 but I don't think they really get the value of numbers yet.  C knows most colors and can identify all capital letters in the alphabet and most shapes also although most people probably wouldn't understand that a "cooyangel" is a triangle lol.  A can identify some colors, letters, and shapes but isn't really into learning about that stuff right now like his brother.  He's more interested in figuring out how things work and what things do.  My husband brought up an old Nintendo "Rob the Robot" the other day and A spent hours messing with it until he had understood all its workings...C maybe looked at it for 10 minutes before going on to do something else.  A also loves watching people mow their lawns which makes me glad I got them a couple of cheap bubble "mowers" for their birthday.  It's crazy how different these guys are...if someone were to observe them playing side by side in a sandbox they still wouldn't have any idea they were twins or even brothers for that matter!

Aww!  Girls' clothes are so much fun!  I am sometimes a little envious of the cute outfits available to girls these days!  I'm sure it's going to be so much fun dressing your daughter up in all those cute clothes for the next several years!  Then even more fun when she gets her own sense of style!  One of my friends has a 3 year old girl now and posts pictures of her latest wardrobe choices...like snow boots with swimwear...it's too funny and cute!    

began TTC in 8/2011

Not Ranked
Posts 40
museumgirl22 replied on Wed, May 27 2015 8:55 PM

Happy belated birthday to your boys! I've always thought of 2 as the official cutoff for babyhood. I know they really haven't been babies for a long time, but somehow I can justify still calling mine a baby. It looks like they had a great party, and the cake--wow! You did a great job.

I'm sorry about the Thomas experience. It sounds like something you won't be going back to. Every time I see an ad for it on our PBS station, I think of what you said and I'm glad we're not going. I'm sure they sell lots of tickets because kids see the commercial and get excited about it. I have no doubt activities like that are in our future.

It sounds like your boys are doing great with counting, shapes, etc. I like the word "cooyangel." It's funny how they distort some words and after awhile you just get used to it. We were at my parents' house the other night having dessert, and C kept saying "ee keem." Nobody could understand her, and I said, "Believe it or not, that's 'ice cream.'" We are going to hire a babysitter for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I'm so worried she won't understand anything C is saying. All I can do is write down some of her most used phrases and hope it helps.

I had a great time sorting through the clothes, but I think I might donate some, as it's really more than we need. I hate to think of them sitting in the basement going unused.

Other than that, I hope all is well. Do you have a pool nearby that you can use? Or will you be cooling your feet in the baby pool? Other than our vacation, we will probably not go swimming this summer. It gets expensive to go to public pools. Easier just to stay in the air conditioning! :)

42 years old

Married in 2011

Baby Girl July 2013

We are one and done!

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS