help

Delaying O with Estradiol

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 386
drdonna Posted: Wed, Jan 4 2017 1:21 PM

This will be my first IUI cycle, my second cycle on clomid 50mg. I responded well to the first round, which ended in a chemical pregnancy. 

At my initial scan yesterday (CD4) my RE prescribed estrogen for 5 days in hopes that it will hold off ovarian activity because CD 14 will fall on a weekend that their offices are closed and they don't want to risk it. I will start Clomid the night of CD 9 (after a scan to confirm the estrogen did what is was supposed to do) and go from there. 

First, is this safe to do? I feel like we are messing with nature but the RE says this is common practice.

Second, the RE did not talk about any effects of taking the estrogen. Will it also perhaps help with EWCM, or thicken my lining? I'm nervous about adding hormones here. 

Me - 44 DH - 41

DS born via c-section (breech) 02/19/13 Baby Boy

TTC #2 since August 2014

BFP 11/21/15 Broken Heart 12/19/15

BFP 12/2/16 ending in chemical 

My chart

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 760
soon2be_mrsd replied on Wed, Jan 4 2017 5:34 PM

I don't know anything about it delaying o... estrogen is given for ivf patients to thicken lining though so it might help there.  My re have me estrogen once on trigger day and to go through the LP when my lining was not as thick as he liked.   

I dont like like that they told you they are trying to delay due to schedule though....seems off!   

When I took estrogen (that Femara cycle and also in my recent pregnancy) it caused very sore breasts. I did not notice any other side effects. 

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle - Freezing all for Transfer in April

My Charts:   http://ovusoft.com/members/soon2be_5F00_mrsd/charts/default.aspx  / http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/53a80b

Not Ranked
Posts 215
Ashmariet2005 replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 8:40 AM

I am an IVF patient and I take estrogen A LOT. After a round of birth control and period, then estrogen starts. Depending on when the transfer is, I'm on the estrogen anywhere from 2 - 3 weeks before the transfer. And yes, it does delay ovulation. In my case, it prevents follicles from growing at all. When I was pregnant, I continued the estrogen. I never have any side effects, but I do know it is how my lining thickens since I'm not growing follicles. I can't speak to CM.

Me-29 & DH-30 EST. 04/2010 Heart

NTNP for the first few years we were married.

TTC since 01/2012.

Clomid cycle with OB/GYN, cancelled IUI with RE.

IVF#1 02/2016: 16 eggs retrieved. 13 mature. 12 fertilized. 6 frozen day 5 & 3 frozen day 6. No embryo transfer.

FET#1 04/12/16: 1 AAA 5day blast transferred --- BFN Sad

FET#2 06/17/16: 1 5day blast transferred --- BFN Sad

Pilot FET (no embryo transfer) 07/29/16: Doctor gathered some good information, made a plan to move forward.

FET#3 08/31/2016: 1 hatching 5day blast transferred --- BFP 6dp5dt on my 29th birthday!!! Flowers  missed miscarriage 8w3d Broken Heart Emergency D&C 11/05

FET#4 02/17/2017: TBD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,500
dj rayne replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 8:53 AM

Taken early enough it stops recruitment or slows it down. Followed by clomid recruitment speeds back up or resumes if it is working as it should. It is used primarily for Jewish women that ovulate too early in their cycle to get pregnant due to religious restrictions. Typically the delay is one day off of the norm. It does effect lining and CF but taken that early the effects are not lasting. For it to counter clomid s/e it would be used after clomid until closer to O. The downside to taking it is that taken at a large enough dose (remember we are individuals and react as such) or in repeat cycles we can end up creating the perfect storm for PCOS to develop. That is what HBC does to many. It can also create conditions for endo to develop.  You are basically interrupting the normal cascade. Can it work - yes. Can it have negative s/e - yes.

Not Ranked
Posts 386
drdonna replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 12:54 PM

Thank you all. I'm assuming this is the one and only time I will take the estrogen for this purpose. If we do another IUI, I will probably speak up about taking it again. He was so cavalier about it, which I did not like.

I also think it's "off" that they are messing with my cycle to make it more convenient for them. I really thought every RE office was open each weekend, but it turns out they only do like every other or something here. They don't open until 8:30am and close at 5pm, so it's super inconvenient. 

Me - 44 DH - 41

TTC #2 since August 2014

My chart

Not Ranked
Posts 386
drdonna replied on Mon, Jan 9 2017 5:51 PM

As it happens, the estrogen did not keep my ovaries quiet. I have a maturing egg on the left and I'll probably O by the end of the week. However, my lining looks great so maybe the estrogen did help there.

Me - 44 DH - 41

TTC #2 since August 2014

My chart

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,500
dj rayne replied on Tue, Jan 10 2017 6:56 PM

Didn't you start on CD5? More than likely too late of a start. E plunges once progesterone falls. You would have to start it to coincide with that fall in most cases to prevent the sharp drop.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS