help

Saying bye bye to pacifier - tips?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 531
gabelle1995 Posted: Mon, Jan 16 2017 5:30 AM

Our 2.5 yo daughter will need to stop using her pacifier soon. I've looked around the internet and read various things about pacifier fairies, 3 day plans and so on. But I'd like to hear some stories and tips from those who have been there and done that. How did you build up to saying goodbye to pacifiers? How long did it take? She is already not using it during the day when she's playing at home or at playschool. She uses it during diaper changes but we are stopping that now. We are most worried about nap time and bed time. Should we tackle one before the other? 

Thanks in advance.

Me: 43  DH: 37 Kiss

FAM'er since 2003; hypothyroid (synthroid) since 2003

Angel 19 April 2013 - Miscarriage at 9w3d

IUI #1 October 30, 2013 - BFP November 12, 2013! NT/combined test at 12+6 = 1:7 DS risk. CVS at 13+0 = all normal! Baby Girl - July 22, 2014 (1 day after due date)

Surprise BFP November 5th, 2015 - EDD July 13, 2016 NT scan all normal. Baby Boy - July 10, 2016 (39+4) VBAC Success!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,513
dj rayne replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 2:21 PM

With my youngest brother my mother took him to TRU and simply told him to pick out the one thing he really wanted and once he did that he had to choose - toy ot paci. The paci stayed on the shelf (not really she slipped in in her pocket while he was looking over the much wanted toy. We never went to toy stores or on toy aisles unless we were picking out someone's birthday present or had money that we we allowed to spend (from a birthday or holiday and it was a one time event per year- that taught us the benefit of saving and putting together what we had gotten over the year). My son wasn't one to use them until we moved home for a year. Mom was big on them so he had a rainbow. When the time came since we were always telling him how sweet he was we slipped the pacis out once he was asleep and cut the tips off. Mom had sugar ants that would come in the kitchen window on occasion and she kept taro for bait. We put a drop on the cut end of the pacis and the ants swarmed them. When he got up the next morning asking for one we showed him what the ants did (ate the pacis) and that was all she wrote. He never asked for them again.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 800
soon2be_mrsd replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 3:28 PM

My mom tells me a similar story of when I gave up my paci.   I got to pick out a toy doll I wanted at the store and I paid for it with my pacifier.  The cashier played along according to my mom telling me what a big girl I was and making a great choice in the doll.

Me: 35   DH: 33

TTC #1 since February 2015

Diagnosis: ovulation disorder, pelvic adhesions, tubal dysfunction:  4 medicated cycles with femara + FSH injections (2 timed intercourse and 2 IUI) - all BFN.  We are done with treatments now (Nov 2016).  Trying naturally for a bit while exploring other paths to parenthood.

Natural BFP 12/17/16!   Ectopic Loss 5w5d  on 12/26/16

Feb 2017: Starting IVF Cycle:  Antagonist Protocol with 375IU Gonal F and 75IU Menopur, Added Ganirelix day 6.  Stimmed for 9 days total.   24 eggs retrieved, 17 mature, 14 fertlized, 10 made it to blast and were frozen!  Transfer in April\

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Cliff1016 replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 7:49 PM

My kiddo never took a paci but my SIL just cut out paci's with her 2 year old. She cut the ends off during a nap and let her daughter see them and once she saw the paci's were "broken" she didn't want them anymore. Hope you find something that works quickly and easily!

Me: 28, DH: 34, Married since June 2012 Heart

Wren Marí | November 18, 2015! Baby Girl

22 cycles, injectables & IUI

Jude Patrick | December 31, 2016 Baby Boy

3rd cycle NTNP while EBF

Chart

See bio for details. =)

www.bothsidesofthebed.com <-blog! New post- Jude's Birth Story!

Not Ranked
Posts 535
hb12red replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 8:18 PM

We got rid of my son's paci at 3.5 (we meant to do it earlier but life happens).  One night I couldn't find one so he just had to go to bed without it. I layed with him till he fell asleep.  The next day I searched for the his 2 paci's and tossed them!  The first few nights were hard but it was a lot easier than I thought.  

My daughter is 22 months now and we are working on keeping paci's for just nap/bed time. I'm hoping to get rid of them a lot sooner this time, but I know it isn't a big deal if is just for sleeping.  One thing I though about doing for my son was to take him to build a bear and have him put his paci inside the bear so he could always have it, even though he couldn't use it.  He was never really into stuffed animals though so we skipped that option.

Baby Boy April 2012

Baby Girl March 2015

Broken Heart 7 weeks September 2016

BFP 10/6/16! Praying for a rainbow baby!

My charts

BabyFruit Ticker
Not Ranked
Posts 636
spermhoarder replied on Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:51 AM

We took DD1 to the dentist for the first time when she turned 3, and we warned her in advance that the dentist would probably tell her she would have to give up the pacifier. She tends to take professionals more seriously than she takes mom and dad :P of course he did tell her that she would have to stop pacifier to have strong teeth, BUT she got to have new stuff like floss and mouthwash. We cut it off cold turkey after that, which I think helped. It took her about 2 days to fall asleep easily without the pacifier.

Me - 34 y/o  H - 32 y/o. No longer hoarding sperm. Probably will start hoarding sperm again in May or June 2015. Pretty sure I am all done with hoarding!

Baby Girl September 7, 2013

Baby Girl February 26, 2016

My FF Ovulation Chart[/url]

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 747
SoccerGirl replied on Tue, Jan 24 2017 11:57 AM

We had DS say bye to the pacifier shortly before he turned 3, just before his first dentist appointment. ;)  A few weeks before we planned to do it (we wanted to be back from a planned camping trip first) we told DS that we would be going to the Lego store and he would get to 'buy' some Lego with his soothers and that they would be gone but he would have a fun lego set.  When the day came he was not completely caught off guard by it and easily handed in his bag of soothers in exchange for his lego junior.  Our biggest concern was also him being able to sleep but it went way better than we thought it would, thankfully.  We just stayed by him for a bit to help him fall asleep and every day left sooner and sooner and before we knew it he was falling asleep on his own.  

Me(Marie): 28 & DH: 27 married 7 years Heart  

Started charting 2010 after stopping HBC.  

Currently dealing with Hashimoto's, possible 'weak' ovulation, AI issues, but overall unexplained infertility/RPL

My charts: http://www.ovusoft.com/members/SoccerGirl/charts/default.aspx

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/36be0d

DS Baby Boy born Sept 2013 (BFP after 18 months TTC on 3rd month Clomid 50mg CD5-9)

TTC#2 Sept 2014 Broken Heart5w Dec 2014 Broken Heart11w July 2015 Broken HeartBaby Boy 10w March 2016

Not Ranked
Posts 531
gabelle1995 replied on Mon, Mar 6 2017 3:38 AM

I just wanted to write an update. A couple of weeks after I wrote this post, DD gave up her pacifiers willingly. We talked about how big girls don't use pacifiers. She wants to be a big girl most of the time. So she gave each one a kiss and told it bye bye and handed it to me. She had a bit of trouble going to sleep that night but we just stayed by her and gave her some extra cuddles. We were worried about her not having the pacifier at her playschool when she had a nap but they said she asked for it that first day and they told her that she had said bye bye to them. After a couple of days of no pacifier I took her to the toy store and she picked out some Lego. I couldn't believe how easy it went.

The next hurdle is potty training. Somehow I don't think it will go nearly as easy. :-)

Thanks for all of the suggestions and stories!

Me: 43  DH: 37 Kiss

FAM'er since 2003; hypothyroid (synthroid) since 2003

Angel 19 April 2013 - Miscarriage at 9w3d

IUI #1 October 30, 2013 - BFP November 12, 2013! NT/combined test at 12+6 = 1:7 DS risk. CVS at 13+0 = all normal! Baby Girl - July 22, 2014 (1 day after due date)

Surprise BFP November 5th, 2015 - EDD July 13, 2016 NT scan all normal. Baby Boy - July 10, 2016 (39+4) VBAC Success!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS