Search

help

thyroglobulin antibody is high -- what does that mean?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 341
orangekitty Posted: Mon, Feb 13 2017 10:44 AM

Hello everyone! I'm back with yet another thyroid-related post!

I've finally been able to start seeing a regular endocrinologist. (Backstory: I was on a waiting list because I was considered not urgent since I was already under the care of an RE, however my TSH keeps jumping around and it became too much for the RE to handle so she requested I start with the endocrinologist immediately. I was moved to the top of the waiting list and got an appointment within a few weeks.)

Anyways, my new doctor sent me for tests last week and I've posted the results below. Everything looks to be in the normal range, except for the thyroglobulin antibody, which is more than double the lab's highest reference range.

Do any of you have any theories about what this could mean? Could something have caused it? In case it's relevant, I normally do all my bloodwork in the morning before I eat anything but that morning I forgot I was going to the lab and I drank a very small amount of pomegranate juice. Also I take 88mcg of synthroid 6 days out of 7 (i.e. I skip one day a week, which is what the RE suggested when I was overmedicated in December, and the endocrinologist has decided to stick with that plan for now).

Lab results:

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone [TSH]: 0.97 mIU/L (reference: 0.32-4.00)

Thyroxine Free [Free T4]: 16 pmol/L (reference: 9-19)

Triiodothyronine Free [Free T3]: 4.2 pmol/L (reference: 3.1-6.2)

Thyroglobulin Antibody: 96 kIU/L (reference: <40)

Thyroperoxidase Antibody: 11 kIU/L (reference: <35)

Regarding the thyroglobulin antibody results the lab has written, "Anti-Thyroglubulin antibody values up to 800 kIU/L may be seen in healthy people without demonstrable thyroid disease." Does that mean that it's nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

My charts

39 y.o., NTNP since June 2014.

High FSH and tiny ovaries = premature ovarian insufficiency. Donor egg cycle overseas in January 2017: BFN. Looking into adoption, fostering and a second DE cycle and loving up our nieces, nephews and furbabies until all the pieces fall into place.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 747
SoccerGirl replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 12:44 PM

orangekitty:
Do any of you have any theories about what this could mean? Could something have caused it? In case it's relevant, I normally do all my bloodwork in the morning before I eat anything but that morning I forgot I was going to the lab and I drank a very small amount of pomegranate juice. Also I take 88mcg of synthroid 6 days out of 7

First of all your thyroid numbers look great!  Your dose must be spot on what it needs to be right now.  It is really hard to say if that level of Thyroglobulin antibodies since it is quite low but nevertheless it is still above the range and you are clearly having some thyroid issues. Having anything to eat or drink isn't going to affect your antibody levels.   I have Hashimoto's with positive thyroperoxidase antibodies.  My levels were just below 300 which was the cutoff for the 'may be seen in healthy people.'  With my clnical history of IF, RPL, and other AI disease/issues my ND is viewing it as significant and I'm taking dessicated thyroid.  If you wanted to spend the money you could get all the fancy autimmune tests like NK cells, etc or look into ivig/intralipid therapy but it is all rather controversial.

Me(Marie): 28 & DH: 27 married 7 years Heart  

Started charting 2010 after stopping HBC.  

Currently dealing with Hashimoto's, possible 'weak' ovulation, AI issues, but overall unexplained infertility/RPL

My charts: http://www.ovusoft.com/members/SoccerGirl/charts/default.aspx

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/36be0d

DS Baby Boy born Sept 2013 (BFP after 18 months TTC on 3rd month Clomid 50mg CD5-9)

TTC#2 Sept 2014 Broken Heart5w Dec 2014 Broken Heart11w July 2015 Broken HeartBaby Boy 10w March 2016

Not Ranked
Posts 341
orangekitty replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 1:14 PM

SoccerGirl, thanks for the reply! 

I feel really good right now, so I thought the numbers would probably reflect that when I went in to have the blood drawn. My TSH was at 3.26 three weeks ago and I could tell something was off even before having the bloodwork done. Despite 3.26 being within the lab's reference range, I find it's way too high for me. I feel best under 1.5, generally. I'm not sure what the "ideal for me" range is for the other tests, I'm still working that out. I have a hard time remembering what they all mean, to be honest. I read about it and then the next time I need the info it's slipped out of my brain!

I think I'd like to do all the autoimmune tests but I'll have to find out what they cost first.  I haven't heard of ivig before but I'll look it up! I know the tests are all controversial but if they're not exhorbitantly expensive then I think they would be interesting.

My charts

39 y.o., NTNP since June 2014.

High FSH and tiny ovaries = premature ovarian insufficiency. Donor egg cycle overseas in January 2017: BFN. Looking into adoption, fostering and a second DE cycle and loving up our nieces, nephews and furbabies until all the pieces fall into place.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS