Changing your diet/lifestyle to change your hormones/health

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 468
MellieC Posted: Fri, Feb 24 2017 1:39 PM

Hello all!

I am looking for success stories, tips, companionship (if anyone else is doing lifestyle changes too?), etc on how to change your hormones/health by changing your diet or lifestyle.  

I have just had a lap and a hormone study to determine that I have endometriosis and high estrogen in my LP.  The next few months post lap are our best shot to get pregnant.  I want to give my body any support I can during this increased opportunity time.  I have implemented lots of changes to hopefully reduce estrogen and inflammation.  I am one week in on my lifestyle changes and still holding strong and actually feeling really great!!

Some example topics to chime in about:  Have you done anything like this?  What did you do and what did you think of it?  Any of the whole 30, paleo, or keto ladies probably have a ton of experience.  Want to join me (with whatever lifestyle changes are appropriate for you) and we can support each other?  I would love some inspirational BTDT stories!

Flowers

Me (Mel): 33  DH: 36

Charting since 1/14, TTC #1 since 11/15!!  

6/16 - working with RE due to spotting throughout the LP

2/17 - stage I endometriosis dx and removed; also removed uterine polyp

My Charts   

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 747
SoccerGirl replied on Mon, Feb 27 2017 11:34 PM

I don't have a inspirational story but rather an uninspiring story of what has accumulated in the gradual changes I've made for good over the years. Stick out tongue  I know a lot of women have success on the diets you listed but simple and gradual is what works for me to make lasting changes that make me feel better about life in general even if I haven't had any natural sticky babies.

A list of what I intentionally do:

-Get enough sleep.  I go to bed before 10pm at least 5 nights a week.  I actually keep track of this because I am or rather was the worst at getting a second wind at 10 and deciding to start some big project/clean the entire house etc.

-I avoid plastic as much as possible, especially BPA, and don't cook with the black teflon non-stick frying pans.  On the other hand if I need to use plastic or eat from a can sometimes I don't sweat it either. 

-Exercise.  One of the easiest ways to decrease estrogen.  Another thing I track in a journal to ensure I don't get lazy about skipping it anymore. At least 5 days of 30+minutes cardio or yoga a week.

-Eating enough fibre.  Also good for getting rid of excess estrogen. 

-Getting fresh air and sunshine and doing intentional relaxing exercises like mediation or deep breathing

Me(Marie): 28 & DH: 27 married 7 years Heart  

Started charting 2010 after stopping HBC.  

Currently dealing with Hashimoto's, possible 'weak' ovulation, AI issues, but overall unexplained infertility/RPL

My charts: http://www.ovusoft.com/members/SoccerGirl/charts/default.aspx

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/36be0d

DS Baby Boy born Sept 2013 (BFP after 18 months TTC on 3rd month Clomid 50mg CD5-9)

TTC#2 Sept 2014 Broken Heart5w Dec 2014 Broken Heart11w July 2015 Broken HeartBaby Boy 10w March 2016

Not Ranked
Posts 468
MellieC replied on Thu, Mar 2 2017 8:42 AM

Marie:  haha, that is not uninspiring at all!  Especially that you have been able to make the changes for good rather than just sporadically doing them.  Thank you so much for sharing!  

Yes, reducing estrogen is my big push, so I have a lot of the same items on my goal list that you have done.  One that I am struggling to implement is eating enough fiber.  Do you have any particular tips/tricks/recipes that make it easier for you? In a hugely TMI:  a book I read said that you should be eating enough fiber that it makes your poo float.  I am finding that a semi-impossible goal :/.   I am eating lots (and lots...) of veggies, incorporating more beans, brown rice, fruit, etc. (and drinking lots of water), but alas apparently it is still insufficient.  Or that book doesn't know what it is talking about... Wink

Anyone else doing anything?  Mrs Ford - I saw you mentioned you were on an anti-inflammatory diet, what did that involve and how did you do it?  Are you going to stick with it now that you were successful?  

My Charts   

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,421
Cliff1016 replied on Thu, Mar 2 2017 1:02 PM

Before getting pregnant with dd, we had just finished a round of whole 30 and had continued eating paleo afterwards. I hadn't thought I had much weight to lose but ended up shedding 11 lbs during whole 30, and that was all while eating quite a bit! I'm admittedly a cheese and carb lover so cutting dairy and bread was probably the main factor. Anyway, I got pregnant while we were doing the paleo. We'd been trying for about 2 years at that point and it was also our first cycle using injectible meds... so that probably had a lot to do with our successs. But I still really really think the clean eating was a big factor. With ds, I was also about a month into a paleo/whole 30 type lifestyle when we got pregnant. I also know several other people who have gotten pregnant after doing whole 30. Maybe a coincidence, I have no idea... but it's worth a shot even if it's just a reboot to the system for clean eating in my opinion! Don't think it can hurt and I felt SO good after doing it. Way more energy and sense of wellbeing 

Me: 28, DH: 34, Married since June 2012 Heart

Wren Marí | November 18, 2015! Baby Girl

22 cycles, injectables & IUI

Jude Patrick | December 31, 2016 Baby Boy

3rd cycle NTNP while EBF

Chart

See bio for details. =)

www.bothsidesofthebed.com <-blog! New post- Jude's Birth Story!

Not Ranked
Posts 362
murillo replied on Thu, Mar 2 2017 3:43 PM

MellieC:

a book I read said that you should be eating enough fiber that it makes your poo float. 

Hehe I think that is a myth. Is that your basis for saying you aren't getting enough fiber? I would judge more by at least a bowel movement a day, without straining, as an indication of getting enough fiber. I now have about three BMs a day, incorporating oatmeal breakfast without dairy and at least two veg and one fruit at other meals. Also more conscious of bean-based meals, several times a week but def not every day. I make no other special considerations like whole grains, paleo, etc. or even prunes lol. Still eating white rice, potatoes, meat, etc.

A good calorie counter should also provide fiber levels.

My periods went much more regular in summer when I was biking every day, and have gone back to crazy long cycles during the winter, so the connection with exercise and estrogen caught my eye.

Just a single Eye learning fertility awareness Yes Hug

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/murillo/charts/default.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 862
lee526 replied on Thu, Mar 2 2017 6:59 PM

You know what else can make poop float? Serious malabsorption disorders, eating too much fat, gas bubbles distributed throughout your poop. It's not a reliable measure. I have seen several fitmama bloggers say this and it's not really helpful since sinking poo is often healthy too. :) 

That said, I think anything that helps your gut function better is a good for the whole body (plus those good habits will help so much when you have a teeny baby growing inside and all you want to do is eat bagel bites like I did). 

Hope your changes help you feel better! 

Me 29 and DH 30

TTC #1 as of 9/2012

Sept 2013 - all testing at RE is perfect for both of us.  After six more months, RE recommends Clomid + IUI

October/November 2014 Clomid + IUI = BFP! EDD July 30, 2015

Baby boy born 7/18/15; induced at 38 weeks due to obstetric cholestasis and delivered healthy via cesarean after concerns of fetal distress. So thankful for our little guy and every step of this strange journey! 

Not Ranked
Posts 396
mamawannabe replied on Fri, Mar 3 2017 7:41 PM

Cliff1016:

Before getting pregnant with dd, we had just finished a round of whole 30 and had continued eating paleo afterwards. I hadn't thought I had much weight to lose but ended up shedding 11 lbs during whole 30, and that was all while eating quite a bit! I'm admittedly a cheese and carb lover so cutting dairy and bread was probably the main factor. Anyway, I got pregnant while we were doing the paleo. We'd been trying for about 2 years at that point and it was also our first cycle using injectible meds... so that probably had a lot to do with our successs. But I still really really think the clean eating was a big factor. With ds, I was also about a month into a paleo/whole 30 type lifestyle when we got pregnant. I also know several other people who have gotten pregnant after doing whole 30. Maybe a coincidence, I have no idea... but it's worth a shot even if it's just a reboot to the system for clean eating in my opinion! Don't think it can hurt and I felt SO good after doing it. Way more energy and sense of wellbeing 

Hubby and I went Primal at the beginning of 2012. Four months later we got pregnant with DS.  We tried for four years unsuccessfully before that.

DJ started a Keto diet thread in General Chat and I also shared my story there.  When we are eating Primal, I have less inflammation and less mid-cycle spotting.  

Me:  41 y.o.  DH:  43 y.o.

Infertility due to fibroids, polyps, low sperm count and motility.  

3 IUIs = BFN. Exactly four years of TTC #1 and I got my first BFP ever naturally!

DS 12/30/2012

BFP 05/23/2015 = Baby stopped growing @ 5w1d.  Miscarried @ 7 weeks Angel

Not Ranked
Posts 468
MellieC replied on Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:43 AM

Hello All!!  Sorry, for the delay in responding -  I have been out of town without my computer and am unable to figure how to post on my phone.

Thank you SO much for all the thoughts!!  You guys are such inspiration for me!!  

Cliff - I am right now looking up whole 30 to see how closely it aligns with my plans and if I can do a shift to that!  

Murillo:  3 BMs a day, wowza!!  This is going to be weird...; but I totally have BM jealousy!!  Indifferent  Thank you so much for sharing your experience - how hard were you exercising to see the change for your cycles (e.g. moderate, strenuous, training for an iron (wo)man??  

Lee:  Thank you so much for your perspective.  You are so right; one sign does not a healthy body make.  I will definitely keep that in perspective.  haha, after reading your post I suddenly had a craving for bagel bites Stick out tongue.  

Mamawannabe:  I hadn't even heard of Primal - I will be googling that one too!!  How do you know if you have more or less inflammation?  Apparently that is one of my problems, but I am not sure what the warning signs are?  

Update AFM:  I made it for ~2.5 weeks of what I call my "reduce estrogen and inflammation diet" (no gluten, dairy, alcohol; lots of organic veggies, fiber, water, antioxidants, exercise; minimize refined sugar, processed foods, soy, red meat, etc).  I already ate pretty well and am fairly trim, but I managed to drop 3 lbs lickity split and felt GREAT (biggest change was how thin my stomach felt - I hadn't even realized I felt bloated before)!!  Thhheeen I had to go to a work conference for a week where all meals were served preplated so I had zero options or control.  I crashed and burned on nearly all of my initiatives :(.  Back at it now though (eating a bowl of oatmeal as I type Big Smile)!

Please keep the stories, tips, thoughts coming!!  

My Charts   

Not Ranked
Posts 362
murillo replied on Wed, Mar 15 2017 9:12 AM

Murillo:  3 BMs a day, wowza!!  This is going to be weird...; but I totally have BM jealousy!!  Indifferent  Thank you so much for sharing your experience - how hard were you exercising to see the change for your cycles (e.g. moderate, strenuous, training for an iron (wo)man??  

Thanks for the biggest LOL this week ROFL

I am morbidly obese, so it was very low-impact exercise. But daily: a conscious decision to do all my errands by bike. I did not use my bus pass once between May and October, and do not own a car.

So I would guess 5 or 6 km daily by bike. Occasionally 10 km ride around my town's bike trails just after dinner. And one or two longer weekend trips, I believe my longest one was 20 km return, which took me like 4 hours but I don't care! I chose beautiful settings like forests and did not beat myself up for frequent breaks.

My bike fitter told me "slow and steady" really can be better exercise than heart-pumping cardio for some of us, and based on my results, I think he was right. Ex I lost five pounds on my recent trip to Ireland simply from leisurely but long (4-5 hour) walks, either around the cities or coastal areas. I am now five pounds away from getting out of the morbidly-obese category, so super motivated.

He also told me the culprit is usually refined sugar, not fat. So I have been very careful about white sugar, prepared foods (it's even in spaghetti sauce Angry) and baking, but not stressing about fruits, salad dressing or roasts. Even getting back to frying with chicken fat for flavour and to not get hungry again fast.

Other random thoughts: Perhaps I should also mention that I just naturally drink little alcohol, by nature. It's a festive thing for me, and even then I never get drunk. I limit dairy due to eczema, but live in France so... yeah. Eye And friends call me a rabbit because of my love of vegetables, they tell me they know noone else who eats so many veggies as I do lol.

Some sort of bean with lunch majorly cut down the four o'clock sugar lows. Does not have to be a main dish or hummus. My local Arabic store sells roasted chickpeas, for example, sometimes I'll have a tablespoon or so of those just before lunch. Nice change from peanuts.

I try not to jump on bandwagons but recently discussed a contradiction with a friend who does therapy because besides eating apparently healthy, I would regularly do contradictory things like binge on chocolate. I'm talking a party bag of M&Ms every day.Embarrassed I sort of broke that addictive cycle on my trip to Ireland and now am convinced it truly has drug-like effects for some of us. I am calmer, more clear-headed, and have lost a further five pounds over two months! One doctor told me chocolate has opiate-like effects on some people. I am now making a very conscious choice to avoid chocolate, specifically, while still enjoying other types of cake or cookie once a week or so, particularly ones with fruit (fiber) in them.

A few years ago, on the recommendation of some of the excellent Ovusoft moderators, I also cut out B vitamin supplements and soy and my cycles started to improve then. Last year I had good success with maca, and have recently incorporated berberine as well.

Well take your pick, maybe something I wrote will speak to you. Best. Yes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS