help

FAQ: Please teach me how to coupon

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Not Ranked
Posts 5,211
helaina Posted: Wed, Sep 24 2008 7:38 PM

Tonight I happened to see a story on Inside Edition about a woman who uses her coupons so well that she only has to spend about $10 per week on $200 worth of groceries. I am intrigued. I think I'd read about some sort of online couponing service. I don't know anything about this. How do you do this? If you do it, what service do you use and how much do you spend and save per week on groceries?

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
Posts 1,125
Emery replied on Wed, Sep 24 2008 10:02 PM
I love this site. It is so helpful!!
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 17,839
CandCfam replied on Wed, Sep 24 2008 10:14 PM
Sounds great, but I cannot imagine they are eating very healthy.

I'll have to read more about it, but my guess is that they are eating a lot of processed foods.
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 9,289
chipmunk replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 12:35 AM
1) The first secret with couponing is stockpiling. So you buy LOTS of whatever is on sale and then you make your meals around that.

2) You have to be brand-flexible when you coupon. Certain things I won't flex on, but things like deoderant, peanut butter, many things, I just buy whatever is on sale and I have a coupon for.

3) Watch the sales and match up your coupons with the sales. Also watch rebates. Many times stores will offer things free after rebate, so any coupon you use on that item is money in your pocket.

4) check out A Full Cup. The best couponing site out there! [tu]
Not Ranked
Posts 6,487
amore replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 12:43 AM
One web site will help you so incredibly much. It's overwhelming at first but worth it!

http://www.hotcouponworld.com

[tu]Wink

In regards to the processed foods - you only coupon/buy what you want/need/eat (you get the idea) anyway.

There are coupons called wine tags that exist in some states. Wine tags can be good on meat, dairy, fruit, veggies, etc. [tu]
Not Ranked
Posts 978
Hopeful Melly replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 10:07 AM
Lots of good tips!

I'll have to read more about it, but my guess is that they are eating a lot of processed foods.

I have found this to be true. I save lots of money on the processed foods but because we buy fresh organic fruits and veggies, I'm still spending a lot on groceries.

I wanted to throw out another website that I like.
www.pinchingyourpennies.com. It allows you to look up that week's sales for several different stores in the area and see who has the better price on certain items. It saves me time from running around town. I do most of my shopping at one store, but if I know that Walgreens will have a good sale, I go there too. But those two stores and occasionally Target are my limit. I draw the line at running all over town finding the best deals.

Last week I saved $70 on groceries, but I still spent $150, to last 2 weeks. Plus a few smaller trips for more milk,etc. I still don't know how people get down to $10.

Me: Old

DH: Older

DD: Too big for her britches

DS: coming soon!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 9,289
chipmunk replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Hopeful Melly
I still don't know how people get down to $10.

You can't do it without a grocery store that doubles coupons. When I lived in Boston, I could get my grocery bill down really low because I would buy (for example) Cheerios on sale for $1.50, then I would use a $1.00 coupon which they would double to $2.00. So for every box of Cheerios I bought, I made 50 cents. Do that with enough items and you've taken a big chunk out of your grocery bill.
Not Ranked
Posts 5,211
helaina replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 1:58 PM

ORIGINAL: chipmunk

You can't do it without a grocery store that doubles coupons. When I lived in Boston, I could get my grocery bill down really low because I would buy (for example) Cheerios on sale for $1.50, then I would use a $1.00 coupon which they would double to $2.00. So for every box of Cheerios I bought, I made 50 cents. Do that with enough items and you've taken a big chunk out of your grocery bill.

Okay, I see. I just found a grocery store near me that doubles coupons. I've never been there before but I think I'll go this weekend. Now I just have to get some coupons.Stick out tongue

Thank you Emery, Michelle, CandCfam, chipmunk, amore, and Hopeful Melly. I really appreciate all of the advice. I have a lot of websites to read through.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 20,355
LouCee replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 2:02 PM

Nina check your market's fine print. Our markets will only double up to $.99. Also, if something is $.89 and you give them a $.50 coupon, they will only deduct $.50 plus $.39 so you don't get any extra money back.

Lourdes & Phil

Our boys - Jon & Nico - 8/17/05

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 9,289
chipmunk replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 3:15 PM

ORIGINAL: LouCee

Nina check your market's fine print. Our markets will only double up to $.99. Also, if something is $.89 and you give them a $.50 coupon, they will only deduct $.50 plus $.39 so you don't get any extra money back.

Good point.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 10,532
DoulaAmber replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 3:37 PM

Good point.

That is how ours works too. It only doubles up to a dollar. But our store always has coupons for GM cereal, usually a buy 2 and get $1.50 off. I had a couple from the man. for a $1 off. So I got 2 boxes of cereal - $2.50[tu] I ended up spending like $1 for two of the BIG boxes of cereal.
Not Ranked
Posts 736
Katya replied on Thu, Sep 25 2008 5:16 PM
i live in canada and we dont have anay stores that double ( AFAIK)
In fact many will only take ONE cuipon even if you buy more than one of the same item!
I do what I can with that and use three store flyers to get the \best price on something but it is no where near what you ARE all describing
Angry

Not Ranked
Posts 5,211
helaina replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 10:16 AM

Thanks Lou. One local market (Superfresh) doesn't have the doubling policy online Angry and the other (Harris Teeter) says it doubles coupons up to $0.99 up to the value of $1.98 or the price of the item, whichever is lower. SuperFresh looks to have better prices, but I guess it depends on their doubling policy.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19,111
Ladybug Mom replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 1:09 PM
Our grocers don't double coupons and usually have limits, so to get a $10 grocery bill for $200 is almost impossible.

I also find that most coupons are for brand name products when the generic is cheaper even if you used the coupon on the brand name product.

You can go to this website and get the coupons that are in the Sunday circulars: www.sundaysaver.com

http://ourladybugadventures.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1,791
Ryansmom replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 1:26 PM
I am just getting started on this as well, and yes, it's very overwhelming and I think will take a lot of time to really work it to the max. The best website I've found is www.moneysavingmom.com. She tells you the best deals to watch for at different stores and also educates you on how to use the Walgreen's rebates and rewards and CVS Extra Care card. Those two stores are worth learning about to get your toiletries and cereal, etc. for free or close to it! For example, a couple of weeks ago, based on one of her tips, I went to Walgreen's and bought several boxes of South Beach bars which normally would have cost $11. After my coupons, they were only $3. I was so excited to save $8! [L] Anyway, you should check it out. When I get some time, I want to really work at it hard and see how much I can save.
Not Ranked
Posts 5,211
helaina replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 2:47 PM

ORIGINAL: wewantmore

I primarily shop at Harris Teeter. Their prices are a bit higher on things, but their sales are GREAT, IMO. And they do have Triples (so far this year it's been every 2 months).

I have never found a $.99 coupon. [>:] I think the highest I found was $.80. BUT, if an item is on sale and you have a coupon double, you could get an 'overage'. Chex Mix is known for this. When they are BOGO and a $.60 coupon doubled, they "pay" you $.20 to buy it. Big Smile If an item is NOT on sale they the best you can do is get it FREE, which if that's all it's still GREAT. I love 'overages', but it's not the norm.

Michelle

Oh wow!!!
Not Ranked
Posts 5,211
helaina replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 8:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Ryansmom

I am just getting started on this as well, and yes, it's very overwhelming and I think will take a lot of time to really work it to the max. The best website I've found is www.moneysavingmom.com.

I'm on the site right now and it's great! Thank you for posting this!
Not Ranked
Posts 351
Poohsmom replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 8:55 PM
Also check to see if your store accepts competitors' coupons. Around here, Shop Rite regularly sends out "$10 off your entire order" coupons to get you in the door. The store I normally frequent, Stop & Shop, will honor that coupon. I've had to train SO not to throw the SR flier out, even though we don't shop there.
Not Ranked
Posts 13,935
CanadianMaple replied on Fri, Sep 26 2008 9:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Katya

i live in canada and we dont have anay stores that double ( AFAIK)
In fact many will only take ONE cuipon even if you buy more than one of the same item!
I do what I can with that and use three store flyers to get the \best price on something but it is no where near what you ARE all describing
Angry

That's my experience is too.

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/canadianmaple/pccharts/default.aspx

Me:  PCOS-like symptoms.  High LH, 40+ resting follies.   Need to do IVF because of this.

Him: Azoospermia (no sperm in SA) -  Dec 2011.

IVF/ICSI with him having TESA to (hopefully) extract sperm in Feb 2013.  Starting Suprefact on Jan 30.  Projected TESA on Feb 21 and ER on Feb 22.

DH passed away unexpectedly on Feb 23, 2013.  The night after my ER.   We have 9 frozen blasts with DS.   Totally devastated.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,140
ruby123 replied on Sat, Sep 27 2008 9:04 AM
ummmm I leave NEAR Canada in Minnesota ( I am very worldly because we are so close to a foreign country) ANYWAYS stores in our area do not double coupons either and there is no way to get that type of savings. Ditto on whomever said you can buy the generic and get a better savings than with a coupon. I use coupons mostly on personal hygeine (sp?) products and products for our cat. Otherwise it seems like they are all for those horrible processed "fruit" snacks that I LOVED as a kid.

Ruby

Ruby
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS