help

Keto Diet Experiences

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,513
dj rayne Posted: Fri, Feb 17 2017 7:56 AM

Looking for discussion, experience and commentary on this diet. Anyone with pre diabetes or diabetes use it and what strategies did you use to prevent problems? Did you feel it had an effect on fertility?

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 341
orangekitty replied on Fri, Feb 17 2017 3:15 PM

I don't have any personal experience with it but I looked into it because my nephew has a severe form of epilepsy and that's the diet he's been put on at the hospital. Hard to tell if it's working because he's in the acute onset phase right now, but they have high hopes that long-term it will be one of the things that helps him. One of my distant cousins is diabetic (type 1) and if his Facebook page is anything to go by, he's a huge supporter of the keto diet.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried it and if it had an effect on their fertility! I've been trying to cut sugars out of my diet (trying being the operative word... not succeeding!) but I'm not sure if I could go full keto diet. I'm on the lean side, I exercise a lot and I don't enjoy eating meat every day (much less at almost every meal). Though if someone says they had raging success at completely reversing their POI on the diet, I'd hop on board the keto train in a heartbeat!

My charts

39 y.o., NTNP since June 2014.

High FSH and tiny ovaries = premature ovarian insufficiency. Donor egg cycle overseas in January 2017: BFN. Looking into adoption, fostering and a second DE cycle and loving up our nieces, nephews and furbabies until all the pieces fall into place.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 29,513
dj rayne replied on Sat, Feb 18 2017 11:16 AM

Diet can often be a key factor in dealing with infertility. The key is knowing what is wrong and how foods influence your body. Changes in diet was one of the factors that I think made a huge impact on keeping the pregnancy I did after 20 years of losses. There is no one system that is stand alone. Everything influences everything else. As a diabetic this diet is worrisome especially knowing someone that was prediabetic that started it, stayed on it long term and has had liver failure. I think being on the diet long term was a significant issue for her. As we are all individuals there may have been other factors influencing her outcome. The body needs sugars/carbs just as it needs fats and protein. Recognizing the needs and being able to weak things to produce the effects we want then being able to find the right balance that we need to maintain all of our systems is important. Right now there isn't anything working for me so this is a last ditch type effort. But I don't want to create problems where there are none. I also hope that by opening a discussion and getting participation we can find patterns that work for those struggling with IF.

David Jude

Click HERE for useful tips and information about this site including linking your chart and directions to allow others to view it Flowers  and HERE for Shrug abbreviations.

To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven.  Eccl 3:1

My WebCharts

Not Ranked
Posts 396
mamawannabe replied on Sat, Feb 18 2017 1:22 PM

Hi dj, this is an interesting thread and I hope others can share their experiences.  

I think on the other forum there was a thread on paleo diets and a few of us chimed in.  A few of us shared how after going paleo we had achieved pregnancy.  Paleo and Keto aren't exactly the same but they are similar.  For me, we were TTC for 4 years and then decided to change our diets to paleo (actually, we were more primal than paleo because we consumed grassfed butter, greek yogurt and cream) and within 4 months we conceived for the very first time.  We were convinced that our diet helped achieve pregnancy. 

I think for me, diet has hugely influenced my inflammation.  (And maybe the inflammation contributed to our infertility journey.) When i go grain free and low-sugar, i have very little to no spotting mid-cycle.  But in the months where I don't watch what I eat, eating grains and sugar, I have lots of spotting mid-cycle.  We are TTC #2 so I've been trying to eat grain free. Age is not on my side so that may be another factor to our lack of success as well.

I look forward to reading other stories.

Me:  41 y.o.  DH:  43 y.o.

Infertility due to fibroids, polyps, low sperm count and motility.  

3 IUIs = BFN. Exactly four years of TTC #1 and I got my first BFP ever naturally!

DS 12/30/2012

BFP 05/23/2015 = Baby stopped growing @ 5w1d.  Miscarried @ 7 weeks Angel

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS